BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MSI Wind
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:02 pm 

I just bought myself a MSI netbook. Knowing that there is done supreme work for the eee to run Blag, I was wondering if there will be versions for other netbooks such as the Acer One of the MSI Wind. The wireless card (rtl8187se) is a bit of a workaround to get it working on other linux distro's but most stuff works pretty good. With the Atom 1.6ghw and 512MB or 1GB of ram, 80GB of HDD it's a kick ass netbook.

Post subject: Re: MSI Wind
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

s0lar wrote:
I just bought myself a MSI netbook. Knowing that there is done supreme work for the eee to run Blag, I was wondering if there will be versions for other netbooks such as the Acer One of the MSI Wind. The wireless card (rtl8187se) is a bit of a workaround to get it working on other linux distro's but most stuff works pretty good. With the Atom 1.6ghw and 512MB or 1GB of ram, 80GB of HDD it's a kick ass netbook.

Jaromil (dyne/muse/freej author) just got the latest version of FREEEEE on his asus eeepc 701. I'm only targetting the 900 at the moment, but the 701 is pretty close. I am currently only focussed on getting this thing perfect on *one* model exactly how I want it before pursuing a lot of other models. I know this is not the typical approach. But BLAG supports a billion different combinations in this case i want to know *exactly* what the user has and build for that. That said, there's no reason you couldn't install it on the msi and customize it. It's just not my target (for now). Also, I have a hard time getting some of this gear where i am. The Acer aspire is not available here. It doesn't really interest me that much anyway. The MSI Wind is here, but the most expensive of them all and I only see it available for windows so i refuse to buy it. The eees are plentiful here and from what i can tell all over the world. They sell lots of them here. I like that it is so commonly/easily available everywhere. Also, a netbook that doesnt support free wifi (or appear to "never" will) is completely off the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:00 pm 

I'm sorely tempted to get a 901 and try FREEEEE on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
I'm sorely tempted to get a 901 and try FREEEEE on it.

Note, FREEEEE doesn't support the 901 yet. I don't have one and the wifi may not be able to be freely implemented. I think it can be done without non-free software, but i'm not certain.

The only model supported so far is the 900 (though it works on the 701 too).