FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
how do i access the command prompt without freex86 server?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: how do i access the command prompt without freex86 server? Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently installed Blag and I must say that I have found it good, far better than mandrake. But I have a problem, I'm trying to install the updated nvidea drivers. The install requires me to goto the command prompt and install it without the freex86 server running. How do I do this?

I think blag is great for a free cd, but I was very to disappointed to find that it didn't come with G++ or gcc. I have found this programs essential to install from source. I have downloaded a copy of GCC but the install looks very daunting... It would be much better if the Pros included it when they compiled BLAG. But I can't realy complain- most of my hardware works fine.

cheers

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i access the command prompt without freex86 serve Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hello,
I recently installed Blag and I must say that I have found it good, far better than mandrake. But I have a problem, I'm trying to install the updated nvidea drivers. The install requires me to goto the command prompt and install it without the freex86 server running. How do I do this?

If you want a console, hit:
Code:
ctrl-alt-f1

Then you can log in as root. To shutdown X, run:
Code:
/sbin/init 3

To bring it back up:
Code:
/sbin/init 5

Quote:
I think blag is great for a free cd, but I was very to disappointed to find that it didn't come with G++ or gcc. I have found this programs essential to install from source. I have downloaded a copy of GCC but the install looks very daunting... It would be much better if the Pros included it when they compiled BLAG. But I can't realy complain- most of my hardware works fine.

Space, space, space... You can install gcc thusly:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gcc gcc-c++

Just do a "apt-get install <application>" and if it's there it will download it, download it's dependencies, and install it.

There may be goo about this on the wiki: http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bud trying it now.
mer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks worked a treat.
mer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks worked a treat.-c
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP