It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: firefox vs free software
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:57 am 

sort of interesting article:
http://www.linux.com/feature/155919

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:33 pm 

I've noticed alot of plugins are closed source. Same with Songbird, you need to be careful. I've started using Epiphany and Dillo2 (gpl3) The only problem with Epiphany is if your on really low end hardware as it pulls in alot of debendancys. It's faster with superior bookmarking but does need more tweaking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:10 pm 

another downside is the lack of good privacy extensions or configuration in epiphany. FF does a good job here, noscript, cs lite, httpref etc do help a lot and Torbutton, which is what EFF currently suggests for TOR usage *exclusively* is FF-only.
Afaik it shouldn't be to difficult to script extensions for epiphany, but we definetely don't have the ressources right now to start spinning our own version of a browser, do we?
What seems to be a reasonable approach to me would be to package some free extensions for FF into our repo (debian based distros have this) so ppl can get free extensions there and don't need to hunt them in the wild of mozdev where lots of closed-source junk is trying to take hold of their souls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:22 pm 

I didn't ways to expand epiphany, but they might exist.

I kept hoping that one of the people repacking FF would also start a clean extension library, but I haven't seen this. My bigger problem with some FF builds is if it suggests to install Flash. The Burning Dog on Gnewsense had it removed.