FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
No sound in 90k

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: No sound in 90k Reply with quote

I finally grabbed a copy of 90k last night, and installed and been updating today, but one thing I can't seem to get working is my sound, which worked perfectly in 70k, and every single other distro i've thrown at it. Naturally, this is beginning to prove annoying. Made sure to install alsa-utils, andother alsa stuff, tried running "alsaconf", but keep getting told the command does not exist. Annoying. Without working sound, my machine is virtually useless to me. I have a collection of video and audio files, and being unable to enjoy them is proving irritating. Everything worked on the previous Fedora 9 install it had. It's basic hardware, an Asrock motherboard, using a seperate dedicated audio card, Yamaha chipset, never been a prob before today. Any advice/help would be appreciated, I prefer not to waste my weekend, and would like to have a working PC. This issue is spoiling an otherwise fine experience.
Junichirô
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your yamaha sound card? SND_YMFPCI - Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754?
Because of: http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=4843&highlight=sound

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit. From memory, SND_YMFPCI sounds familiar. Can't recall specifics, not needed to, always worked, but most likely the case. Shit. *head-desk*
Junichirô
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
Code:
/sbin/lspci

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junichirô wrote:
Try:
Code:
/sbin/lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 741/741GX/M741 Host (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

I disable my onboard sound in favour of the card normally, but rebooted and turned it on before in the hope it would use at least one. The onboard is bearable, but thats all. Looks like the card is indeed one of those affected. Crap. Just my luck. :(

Junichirô
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! it seems it needs non-free firmware.
Quote:
Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754 SND_YMFPCI
Say 'Y' or 'M' to include support for Yamaha PCI audio chips - YMF724, YMF724F, YMF740, YMF740C, YMF744, YMF754.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* No money for more hardware, will just have to find something that WILL work. Damn it, I was so looking forward to running with this.
Junichirô
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't see a solution without installing non-free firmware.
A dual boot?

noldrin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does appeared to be removed with Linux Libre

Quote:
# SND_YMFPCI - Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1_ctrl.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1_ctrl.fw
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1_dsp.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1_dsp.fw
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1e_ctrl.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1e_ctrl.fw

You could try downloading and installing the Fedora Kernel from Fedora.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
It does appeared to be removed with Linux Libre

Quote:
# SND_YMFPCI - Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1_ctrl.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1_ctrl.fw
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1_dsp.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1_dsp.fw
clean_file firmware/yamaha/ds1e_ctrl.fw.ihex
dummy_blob firmware/yamaha/ds1e_ctrl.fw

You could try downloading and installing the Fedora Kernel from Fedora.

Annoying, but I may have to make this compromise to do this. I prefer this one, but 1 single hardware issue is proving annoying (and I really don't have the spare cash, trust me on this, life has not been kind), and to be able to run what i prefer, i'll have to make a small compromise. I love Free software, and prefer to stick to it only, but this firmware issue is an unexpected, and undesired problem. I've been lulled into a false sense of security (assuming all my hardware ran with free software) and this issue is really annoying, but i want to try Blag on my desktop again. Been trying Gnewsense, nice bit of kit, but some things are not available to it, even tho they are free, such as Devede, which i love, a very useful tool, just as an example.

Can you suggest which kernel i should look for? I assume I should look for one for Fedora 9, or will a more recent one be fine? I'll still be running only free software, which is what i'd assumed i was doing til now, but this firmware issue is the only showstopper for me, and the only other soundcard available to me is pathetically soft in soft, even turned right up.

All advice/suggestions are appreciated, believe me. Once I am able, i will investigate a suitable replacement for the card, and see about switching back to the libre, but for now, it's not something im am able to work with, all caue of one annoying thing.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has any suggestions? Bummer. I'll have to wing it and see if i screw up then i guess.
dylan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this:

00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

Is this the same reason I can't play sound in 90k?[/quote]

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP