BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: a Skype conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:51 pm 

My daughter lives in Kenya and communicates with most of her stateside friends and relatives via Skype. I've used BLASTERISK to call her cell phone, but am limited to a maximum of three minutes. I know it's technically possible to run Skype under BLAG, but I choose to keep my BLAG systems free of non-free software and therefore run Skype under the inferior LinuxMint or (*shudder*) Windoze instead. It would totally rock to use a free-software voice-and-video over IP solution that would successfully communicate with Skype. Shall I dub it "DreamNet"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Couldn't she install some SIP or IAX2 software on her machine? Then you could do computer to computer call. Or does she just have landline/cell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:33 am 

I've just installed ekiga, which seems fairly straightforward and will run on Windoze as well as BLAG. Once I figure out how to place calls with it I'll try to talk my computer-challenged daughter into installing it on her laptop. I did buy it for her after all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:51 am 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
I've just installed ekiga, which seems fairly straightforward and will run on Windoze as well as BLAG. Once I figure out how to place calls with it I'll try to talk my computer-challenged daughter into installing it on her laptop. I did buy it for her after all...

One issue with ekiga is if you're behind a NAT you may need a STUN server. The default gnome/ekiga accounts may provide for this.

The iax2 protocol developed by digium for asterisk doesn't have the NAT issues. There really aren't great iax2 fones (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 pm 

skype 2.0.0.68 runs perfectly well in blag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm 

gr00ve wrote:
skype 2.0.0.68 runs perfectly well in blag

it probably does - and that's the conundrum: whether to "taint" an all-free BLAG system with non-free software or hope that its free counterparts are up to snuff. When that's not the case, I'll usually run it on a distro with no pretense of freedom - e.g. LinuxMint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've added the program `ihu` == i hear you, which is a VoIP application that only works with itself. hehe. But it looks pretty interesting, and does encrypted calls. Doesn't work via NATs though, so that could be a big downside (unless you do port forwarding).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:34 pm 

quite honestly one of the main reasons why i chose skype over array of other voip based solutions available was the price.

€4.54/month allows me to call most landlines in the eu for free.
in addition to that i spend about 15€/month for all the other calls and skype routing to my mobile when i'm on the road.
not to mention that i also get to have a regular phone number so that folks can call it up either free or low cost.
[ok summer is slow - so above numbers might rise a bit shortly/hopefully]

running a small business makes my spending very restricted, but the way i see it this is a payment for the solution which works real well and most times is very reliable even on crappy links.