It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:32 pm 

i posted this to the [whereto] list:

=====================================================
hi all

so you, like me, may be feeling a little yearning for the burst of
energy we had before christmas. i've spent a deal of time since jebba
left thinking about BLAG and how we've ended up where we are.

the following is not to undermine any of the good things that folks have
been doing recently. big props to noldrin on the work he's put into the
repo and updates, but i have a big but [sic].

we have good folks with a good combination of time and skills and
energy, but i don't think we are quite there. to be honest i'm a little
worried. i feel there's a *big* danger we could spend the next six
months or a year, doing useful and interesting stuff, learning and skill
sharing: but not ending up with the 'product' [ahem]. i am personally
frustrated that i don't have the knowledge to make this project work. it
has to be a collaborative effort. i am scared we're gonna blow it.

are we serious? are we going to do this thing or flounder around feeling
frustrated.

so i'm calling a meeting in irc.indymedia.org/#blag for [provisionally]
thursday 26 february 2009, 1900CET [GMT+1]. please indicate if you have
a problem with that time and/or date.

i'm also calling for a discussion on this list between now and then
about what you think on the subject of whereto with BLAG, an agenda but
more so. i think we can make the transition from one dev to many devs,
but we cannot conform to the "bloody anarchists couldn't organize a
[insert activity] in a [suitable location]" deal.

to do this, we have the tools at our fingertips, we have most of the
knowledge, we have the energy and commitment. we need to stick it all
together rather than be piecemeal about it.

i love BLAG and what it represents too much let it go.

see you there
peace & rage
r7
========================================================

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:53 pm 

Any chance that a similar chat might be held in a time slot fitting us working folk on the GMT -x side of the pond? Perhaps someone could write up a synopsis of each?

berk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:56 pm 

We did it in the past; and posted it in riseup.net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 am 

berkbw wrote:
Any chance that a similar chat might be held in a time slot fitting us working folk on the GMT -x side of the pond? Perhaps someone could write up a synopsis of each?

berk

When we set the date for the first meetings, it was 1900 "your time zone". So everybody is free to join any time, the first discussions will start at 1900 CET and we don't use to have an agenda.
People will naturally pop in and out of the discussion. The aim is to keep the discussion alive for some hours so that everybody can express his thoughts on some point throughout the evening.
Hopefully we'll find a way to provide some live synopsis in order to make catching up with the discussions more comfortable.

I've just been noticed of a cool event on Thursday evening. But I think we shouldn't change the date after announcement and it cant perfectly suit everybody anyway.

Post subject: State of BLAG
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm 
State of blag/gnu linux

As to date there are 3116 blag users listed in the forum. This number does not represent the number of blag users today or
the number of people currently active in the forums, but after looking at the sheer number of people who chose to join the forums each year, I think it shows just how far we've come.

I had been wanting to take some time to compile a variety of different statistics to present in the forum to quantify that there is some remaining interest by myself and others keep this distribution alive, but had not had the time up until now
to really see the numbers as they stand

I took an hour to review the memberlist page, sorting by joined date and presenting in descending order that

from December 2008-2009, 370 member joined the forums, which accounts for 11.8% of the forum community
These are the lowest numbers since 2005/2006, but nonetheless considering that we have been partially active, I
think those additions are significant nonetheless

From December 2007-2008, 1774 members joined the forums, which accounts for 56.9% of the forum community. It seems
people's interest in BLAG was there and weather or not it makes us more popular, it at least shows that people are
taking the time to see what we stand for.

From December 2006-2007, 458 members joined the forums, which accounts for 14.7 of the forum community, which I joined
this year. That's when I really discovered gnu/linux and found love for blag

I was not here from
From December 2005-2006, but 224 members joined the forums, which accounts for 7.2% of the forum community and in
From December 2004-2005, 145 members joined the forums, which accounted for 4.7% of the user community

I wish I was among the original 145 who joined from March 2004-Decmeber 2004 145, the first nine months, among that other 4.7% some of which represent some of the original blagstas

Where should we go from here?

Well, I have read a little bit of the blag-whereto list, a good majority of the forum and have navigated the wiki, but where do we want to take it. My main suggestion is to start with an infrastructure and here is what I propose. Wait. Let me step back first.

Where/How do we see BLAG?

I think we need to answer this question first. I think BLAG will strive to always maintain the goals the jebba developed it with, but with him gone, I think we need to come with a unified vision of where we see it. This is not going to be an easy process. If only 1% of us were to respond, I think there still would be a lot of disagreement because we are are running different hardware(but jebba created BLAG, BLAGHEAD, and some other spins for other hardware), which I I think is doable and we have the ability to do the same once we are at the point, but what is important to people. As I was reading an article about GNU/Linux support on mobile phones and the lack of software available for synchronizing today's phones, I thought that perhaps BLAG could consist not of only the distribution but sub-projects that really ease the use of...i digress. Enough Said. Where/How do we see BLAG

Back to my original point on infrastructure...I think each person who is still here has there own skills that can contribute in different ways. We should create a list of

Artists for creating artwork for BLAG
Document Writers for maintaining our documentation
Wiki maintainers for keeping an up to date wiki
Website maintainers for keeping an up to date site
Testers for testing BLAG on different platfroms
Developers for working on BLAG

As I understand there may not be a need for full structure(i.e I am the system maintainer and you are my minions and I want you to do this and that now before later. Mwah ha ha). I think once we set out with goals, I think each person has to be upfront about what and where they can contribute as to not feel pressured by anyone else. We live everywhere and its not a job, but lets have some fun, hack, learn from each other and about one another.

I'll stop here because I could rant on much more, but I want to create a list of users who are interested/committed to what they are best at. Can we do that. I'm thinking on the Wiki, if people are up to it. Please send feedback often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 pm 

As old #271, I miss Jeff, yet I still hold hope for the boys in blag.

b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:49 pm 

Yes. I am this busy to not show up here in a while. I want to thank Jeff for his kindness and his character. A worldwide hero in my opinion.

I came back because it is an incredible distro. Easy to use and full of thought for the end experience. I tried so many of them when I joined this forum. Although I cannot contribute to it's value, (due to my lack of skills in the Linux area) I can say I'd like to see those true developers continue BLAG. What a foundation to run with!

No matter where this world thinks they need to take the mindless hoards, I know a place existed such as this. Meet and be free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 pm 

While I am a minarchist, and not an anarchist, and while I have very few issues with corporations/business, I am a believer in the freedom and free flow of information. When I found Blag, I was very excited. I used it exclusively for quite some time. When a new release didn't come, and things seemed to die down at the site, I went back to Slackware. I am glad that things are up and running again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 pm 

fistfullofroses wrote:
While I am a minarchist, and not an anarchist,

uh?
you're what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 am 

v0 wrote:
fistfullofroses wrote:
While I am a minarchist, and not an anarchist,

uh?
you're what?

I am a minarchist. I think that a government is somewhat necessary, but I think it need not be more than a facility by which the rights of individuals are protected. Essentially, a government should be the enforcer of the idea that one person's rights stop where the next person's rights begin. A government should also protect its citizens from foreign invaders, and serve as a central point for diplomacy. Outside of those three things, I feel that a government's existence should be felt as little as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:18 am 

fistfullofroses wrote:
I am a minarchist. I think that a government is somewhat necessary, but I think it need not be more than a facility by which the rights of individuals are protected. Essentially, a government should be the enforcer of the idea that one person's rights stop where the next person's rights begin. A government should also protect its citizens from foreign invaders, and serve as a central point for diplomacy. Outside of those three things, I feel that a government's existence should be felt as little as possible.

thanks for clarify it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:41 am 

fistfullofroses wrote:
A government should also protect its citizens from foreign invaders, and serve as a central point for diplomacy. Outside of those three things, I feel that a government's existence should be felt as little as possible.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

Post subject: hi stromy USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 am 

am a minarchist. I think that a government is somewhat necessary, but I think it need not be more than a facility by which the rights of individuals are protected. Essentially, a government should be the enforcer of the idea that one person's rights stop where the next person's rights begin.