BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:41 am 

Additional Information:
I would like to secure the data stored on the system. I do not want to store in a password protected archive. With TrueCrypt one can make a file that when mounted, appears as if it is another hard drive (speaking from Windows XP use). This is refered to as a "container". Data is decrypted and encrypted on the fly.

If for example a laptop is stolen, the data on it can not be accessed without the keys. Limiting the loss to just the hardware. Authorized users "mount" the drive (which is actaully just a file with the size determined by the user during setup) and the encryption operates transparently.

I would be happy to use an alternative to TrueCrypt, so long as it operates in a similar fashion.

In the mean time I have been experimenting with TrueCrypt using typed commands, and have succeded in creating a container file, but have not managed to mount the container file so that it apppears to be a hard drive.

Thanks,
Mike Hansen

Greetings,
I would like to use TrueCrypt in Linux. I have found a TrueCrypt RPM package, and it went through the installation process without any errors. However, there does not seem to be a way to use the program (as in a GUI).

I have found there is now a file called "TrueCrypt" in the file system under /usr/bin. The properties say the file is an "X-executable".

Since I am coming from Windows XP, I naturally expect a GUI after installing software. I guess I'm not quite sure yet what I'm doing with BLAG Linux. I would have expected a GUI to be available after install.

I had used TrueCrypt to make mountable "drives" that when not mounted, were encrypted. I sometimes store customer files on my systems, and prefer to keep them in a TrueCrypt "container" until I need to access them.

If there is a better container alternative, then please let me know. My preference is to use TrueCrypt, since I have experience with it. I do not want to use an archive, but rather a TrueCrypt type container.

Thanks,
Mike Hansen

Last edited by hansencomputers on Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:24 am 

open a terminal window and type truecypt and see what it does. You might need to be in root mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not quite sure what your goal is for what you are doing. Perhaps if you explain that, we can suggest free alternatives.

GPG is a very good way to encrypt and there are GUI front ends for it (uh, seahorse??)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Disk encryption in Fedora: Past, present and future:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/01/1 ... nd-future/

That just discusses doing encrypted partitions, however.

Basically what you want is an encrypted loopback file. What you are talking about is 100% possible with blag/fedora. I don't know offhand good GUI tools for doing it though. Anyone?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

HOWTO: TrueCrypt in Ubuntu and Fedora GNU/Linux
http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2007/02/ ... gnu-linux/

HOWTO: EncFS Encrypted Filesystem in Ubuntu and Fedora GNU/Linux

EncFS is in the BLAG repo.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 am 

jebba wrote:
I'm not quite sure what your goal is for what you are doing. Perhaps if you explain that, we can suggest free alternatives.

GPG is a very good way to encrypt and there are GUI front ends for it (uh, seahorse??)

-Jeff

I have installed GPG and Seahorse, and created a key. I notice that in Nautilus the right click mouse menu now has "Encrypt" added. I have experimented with encrypting files, but have not been able to figure out how to decrypt a file or folder.

A little advice would be appreciated. Have a great weekend.

Mike H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:02 am 

I figured out how to get seahorse to decrypt files. It's a bit of a pain, and I don't know if all of these steps are necessary, but it seems to work for me. First, the version of seahorse in the repos is pretty old, so I uninstalled the old seahorse with synaptic and went to get the source for the newest version here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ ... 0.1.tar.gz

Then I went back to synaptic and downloaded the following dependencies (some of which brought in other packages along with them):

libgnomeui-devel
gpgme-devel
gnome-panel-devel
avahi-devel
gedit-devel
libnotify-devel
epiphany-devel
nautilus-devel
openldap-devel

(All but the first two are said to be optional, but expand functionality).

(You might also need to download other development packages--I had plenty of developing and compiling packages already installed, so I don't know what all a clean system would have to install in order to get to the point where I started. Presumably, if you get errors when trying to configure, it will tell you what else you need to install first).

I then unpacked and installed seahorse as follows:
Code:
tar xzvf seahorse-1.0.1.tar.gz
cd seahorse-1.0.1.tar.gz
./configure
make
su
make install
make clean

Now finally, after all that, seahorse is installed. It's not called seahorse in the applications menu anymore, but instead "Passwords and Encryption Keys". And there's still no ability to decrypt by right-clicking on an encrypted file in nautilus. BUT, if you right-click on an encrypted file, then you can select "Open with Other Application". The select "Use a custom command" at the very bottom of that dialog box, and use this command:
Code:
seahorse-tool -d

It's a pain, but it seems to work. Maybe there's an easier way. If anyone knows, post it here.

[I only found the "seahorse-tool -d" command after I had installed the latest seahorse. It's possible that that command might work with the version of seahorse in the repo. You can try that first].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:38 am 
Site Admin

The one in the 70000 repo is version 1.0.1 by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:32 pm 

hansencomputers wrote:
If for example a laptop is stolen, the data on it can not be accessed without the keys. Limiting the loss to just the hardware. Authorized users "mount" the drive (which is actaully just a file with the size determined by the user during setup) and the encryption operates transparently.

I just noticed this thread, you may have found suitable solution, still to be sure.

Have you checked cryptobox [ www.cryptobox.org ]?
It is GPL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 am 

jebba wrote:
HOWTO: EncFS Encrypted Filesystem in Ubuntu and Fedora GNU/Linux

EncFS is in the BLAG repo.

movingtofreedom.org is a really good site
this is a great how-to!

I follow it with interest and I made a mini-how to in Spanish about how to create private folders in BLAG using encfs:
http://sietecoyote.com/2009/06/11/como- ... s-en-blag/