FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
What distribution of gnu/linux are people using?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thameslink
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: libre-linux Reply with quote

I'm using parabola Gnu/Linux it's a variant of Arch which uses only free software it's awesome
Junichirô
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extraspecialbitter wrote:
I've just started playing around with Fedora 16, running an XFCE desktop and the latest libre kernel. I'm finding it quite customizable, so it could become my new preferred combination of distro and options.

Same as yours! With blag icons theme. If it goes fine, it should be next blag release.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also using fedora 16 xfce (with kernel-libre, BLAG icons/themes and uzbl browser), plus BLAG 140k, debian testing and trisquel 5. BLAG 160k will be quite nice:)
Junichirô
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey veganix, of course I've some debian installed: two squeeze XFCE and a gnome one.
Why? Only because it's the best distro! And I think I'm not the only blagger to think so; isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junichirô wrote:
Hey veganix, of course I've some debian installed: two squeeze XFCE and a gnome one.
Why? Only because it's the best distro! And I think I'm not the only blagger to think so; isn't it?

My car should have a bumper sticker that reads "my other distro is Squeeze XFCE."

veganix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junichirô wrote:

Why am i not surprised?;-)

extraspecialbitter wrote:
My car should have a bumper sticker that reads "my other distro is Squeeze XFCE."

Assuming your car is running on some other debian, then - if not, it probably could!

Junichirô
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll switch my boxes to debian if there is no more guys with blag. Tried to spin new 160k alpha liveCD with more blaggish but crashed at the end every time I tried. And no one to help me! Spent time to clean spam on the wiki and there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junichirô wrote:
Think I'll switch my boxes to debian if there is no more guys with blag. Tried to spin new 160k alpha liveCD with more blaggish but crashed at the end every time I tried. And no one to help me! Spent time to clean spam on the wiki and there.

I appreciate your energy and your dedication to the cause of BLAG, and I share your frustration that there isn't a core of Blaggers ready and willing to participate in a meaningful way. I wish my skillset was more appropriate, and my spare time more plentiful, because I'd hate to see BLAG go the way of the Dormant Distro.

Dominique
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Gentoo. The best distribition. I never get in trouble with overlays (the equivalent of multiple repositories), never re-formated or reinstalled (the evolution is continue, not by steps), and I can choose whatever init system I want to use, whatever wm/desktop, and so on.

It have a great community and documentation, and the mix of a dedicated kernel + tree + portage + doc + community give me the best system I never get running, even more stable than Debian, faster as well, and with much more available choices than with any binary distribution.

As desktop, I use fvwm-crystal, no 3D effects, but it just do the job, don't interfere with the system, is fast and reliable, have an application menu that is fully compliant with the xdg menu norm, inclusive full support for the additional categories (which no one else support fully), built-in support for different media players, outstanding mouse focus policies, ability to bring in full screen almost any window and to navigate through them and the desktop without compromising the X multiple desktop pages, and more.

Many distributions have an outdated version of fvwm-crystal. On gentoo, the pro-audio overlay have a live ebuild that let you install fvwm-crystal directly from its repository. That live ebuild feature of portage make gentoo the best distribution for a developer. You commit, run emerge, and can test your commit as installed by the distribution.

Junichirô
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a distro 100% free based on fedora for now (Don't know what blag should be tomorrow...) you may give a try to GdNewhat: http://gdnewhat.org/
Last release is based on fedora 20 and has MATE as default desktop.
I use it on my main box since weeks now without problem!

Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP