BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:47 pm 
From the desktop to mobile devices, Free Software is competing against proprietary software in many arenas, but some users of modern technology, sometimes for reasons outside of their control may have to choose a non-free software solution, even if a free software equivalent is available.

When I started using BLAG, I was satisfied knowing that I was using a distro that supported Free Software and begin looking for phones(i.e FreeRunner), internet tablets (i.e Nokia N810)and other computer components (i.e motherboards with which a free bios could be installed)and electronic peripherals (i.e GPS)to fulfill the same desire. While some devices fully supported what I was looking for, others only did parially or still had proprietary software that I was not happy with, but there are communities out there dedicating to ensuring these devices are not locking the user out and providing the freedoms that should have.

Generally, I think those communities are working in the same spirit as this distro and its with our feedback, they can to achieve in providing Free Software devices that meet our expectations or set of standards that we are happy with.

My goal here is to have a discussion of what non-free software are people using on their desktop, whether using WINE to run it or having to dualboot with Windows that you are not able to use a Free Software equivalent. As I understand for some, an application may not exist or specific features of an existing free software equivalent may have been implemented which could cause compatibility issues. In having this discussion, I am hoping that people can discuss ways they've successfully used Free Software to completely transition from non-free application(s) they have been using, find ways in contributing to the specific project that is working on the Free Software equivalent and if these Free Software applications have not been previously in the blag repository that we can begin making sure they come available in future releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:16 am 

Why not list the most popular non-free programs?

THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:36 am 

I admit I use the Nvidia drivers for my card. Otherwise it's potential is wasted on my desktop. My laptop is fine, uses intel graphics. And I also installed Rar for the purpose of reading and repacking my digital comics (.cbr and .cbz). Other than that, I can get by with Free Software quite nicely. Very little i cant work around. :)

Actually , thinking more, I do use wine to run Irfanview, and DVDShrink/DVDDecryptor. Irfanview is just too handy, so much I grew used to for over a decade now, only wish we had it. I'm willing to setup wine just to use it. None of the alternatives give me all it does. And DVDShrink and DVDDecryptor are just handy for backups of my DVD collection. I always rip them to drive with Thoggen and Acidrip anyway, but prefer to pack the originals away safe, and take copies when going to friends.

That's about it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:54 pm 

When I need it non-free firmware for the wifi card.
And worst adobe flash player with 90k because of gnash version too old with fedora 9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 am 

I don't use non-free softwares on my gnu/linux systems. But, I keep a windows partition, for games and softwares I use during my studies.

I'm following the reactOS project with great attention. And, i dream, that someday it would work perfectly...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:06 pm 

within wine sometimes I need to unrar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Admin

v0 wrote:
within wine sometimes I need to unrar

First of all, there's a version of unrar that's FOSS, which is called unrar-free. Seach it out.

Rar Labs also produces a command line unrar for linux, which while not free software, at least includes source code. It's better than having to use wine and is useful for rars that unrar-free doesn't support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am 

I'm using the Nvidia driver for my videocard. And Nero for burning (only) DVD's (since K3b only seems to give me problems with DVD's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm 

With F13 and later releases, you will be able to get out of the box 3D support for Nvidia cards with nouveau and gallium3D.

I've already tried nouveau, and the 2D acceleration is working, and the whole driver is more stable than the nvidia driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 pm 

Well, that does sound promising!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:51 am 

patrickm wrote:
Well, that does sound promising!

What he said. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:31 pm 

I managed to get 3D acceleration on my debian with nouveau.

Well, as said patrickm, it sounds promising. But it's still experimental. I don't get many fps, but I suppose it would be good for compiz. I'll test it on F13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm 

Well, on F13, nouveau worked with my NVIDIA videocard. Unfortunately, not all 3D games worked fine with it. The "complex ones" (like Unreal Tournament 2003) worked, some of the "simpler ones" like GLtron didn't. Hopefully in time it will become so well that it really can replace the NVIDIA driver...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:15 am 

So you were able to play UT 2003? which was your framerate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:57 am 

I use Adobe Acrobat Reader and of course Skype
How can we live without them??? - Impossible!