BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:51 am 
Happy 2010 Forum Members,

Over the past few weeks as I have been posting to the forum, talking with others on IRC and making an effort to try and get feedback from those of you in the community, today my post is about getting to know the hardware that is being used in the community. Many of us have come here from other distributions for a variety of different reasons. Some technical, others political, perhaps a variety of both or maybe neither, or see a connection between what we believe in and the principles here. My goal in this post is to know what hardware people are using to get an understanding of how people are using blag.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:32 am 
Presently, I am using F12 with a linux libre kernel on an Acer Travelmate C300 Tablet Notebook. The specifications for my system can be found here:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/TravelMateC300/TravelMateC300sp2.shtml

Briefly, the specs are P4 Centrino 1.7GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HD, DVD-/+RW

I first used this system with blag 60k, but primarily with 70k and 90k. All hardware worked well out of the box but I had to configure X.org for the digitizer and pen. I primarily used xournal and gournal for writing and drawing, xvkbd for a virtual on screen keyboard, cellwriter for handwriting recognition and gimp, qcad and other drawing design applications respectively

The system today has Fedora 12 with a linux-libre kernel installed. All hardware works out of the box including the digitizer and pen. I use the same applications and have been trying primarily, but have been trying indic onscreen keyboard.

I am satisfied overall with the experience using blag.

Secondly, I have a desktop system. This will vary from time to time because I like to build my own desktops, but as a benchmark, I usually run a single core system (2.0Ghz or up)or dual core (1.6Ghz or up) minimally with 1GB RAM, 500GB+ dependent on what I am using it for. Primarily, my desktops, I use my ogg/vorbis library of music and I will start playing around with encoding video in theora or other free formats.

Typically, based on how I feel, I will usually swap from running F12(in the future blag 120k) or gNewSense to play with the features of different distros, but I have been using qemu and Virtual Machine Manager lately to run this within the distro that I am using.

Thanks!

tearms wrote:
Happy 2010 Forum Members,

Over the past few weeks as I have been posting to the forum, talking with others on IRC and making an effort to try and get feedback from those of you in the community, today my post is about getting to know the hardware that is being used in the community. Many of us have come here from other distributions for a variety of different reasons. Some technical, others political, perhaps a variety of both or maybe neither, or see a connection between what we believe in and the principles here. My goal in this post is to know what hardware people are using to get an understanding of how people are using blag.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 pm 

Most modest of my machines look like (can't recollect actual 32-bit, single
core CPU name) 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, ~10 GB non-volatile memory, CD-R;

On the other side, I have a computer with dual-core 64-bit Athlon 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM,
750GB hard disk.

I never use them to encode video; my typical most CPU and memory-intensive
job is printed circuit boards editing; also, I usually avoid heavy environments
like GNOME, so the machines do that rather fluently.