BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 am 
I have posted this to get an idea of what flavors of gnu/linux people are using. I know some of you may still be using BLAG and others may not, but I wanted to get a feel as to weather people are using/migrating to Fedora 11 or Fedora 12 to get an idea of what release people may want to focus on.

From the Fedora Wiki, here is the maintenance schedule they will follow

"We say maintained for about 13 months because the supported period for released releases is dependent on the date the release under development goes final. As a result, Release X is supported until one month after the release of Release X+2.

This translates into:

* Fedora 11 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of Fedora 13.
* Fedora 12 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of Fedora 14. "

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Schedule

Please note on this page the "Schedule Methodology", which may be helpful to plan and strategize our workflow.

I was thinking we could use Fedora 11 as a learning block, release BLAG 120k(late), based on Fedora 12 and try to stay on our own consistent schedule according to our own workflow.

Here also is the RoadMap, which I was originally looking for.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RoadMap

I have presented these items for reference not as a means to compare what we will be doing with what Fedora. It will be helpful though in discussing how long we want to use our time on each release. I think generally every release is supported as best we can serve the community. What are your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm 

Lately I've been using either a highly-customized Ubuntu 9.04 minimal install or Debian testing (squeeze). I've also played with Tuquito and Ututo. I inadvertently wiped out BLAG 90001 from a partition on my desktop a few months ago and haven't reinstalled it. I tried both Fedora 11 and 12 when they first came out and didn't particularly care for either. On the other hand, I consider a BLAG release based on a more recent Fedora to be something worth trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:00 pm 
What about Fedora 11 and 12 did you not like and what features (i think i will create a blag 120k feature request under development beginning next month)do you want to see in the next release of blag. What type of customizations did you make in your Ubutu/Debian installs that you think may be useful here. I have not tried Tuquito, but I did try Ututo around the same time that I started using 60k and it was nice. I believe at the time the install process was straightforward and the experience using it at first was a little different because it was the first gentoo-based distro that I had tried.

Thanks for your feedback extraspecialbitter!

extraspecialbitter wrote:
Lately I've been using either a highly-customized Ubuntu 9.04 minimal install or Debian testing (squeeze). I've also played with Tuquito and Ututo. I inadvertently wiped out BLAG 90001 from a partition on my desktop a few months ago and haven't reinstalled it. I tried both Fedora 11 and 12 when they first came out and didn't particularly care for either. On the other hand, I consider a BLAG release based on a more recent Fedora to be something worth trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:08 pm 

I use Debian Lenny with only free softwares. I install kernel linux-libre from FSFLA (Freed-edian). I'm a debian addict but move to blag.
Now I've installed fedora 12 with linux-libre and only free softwares (Dual boot with debian on my main laptop) because I realise there'll be a new blag; so for helping to make it it's better to be on f12.
Maybe if the repos are up again I'll install an brave old 90K that never made me pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:08 pm 

Fedora 12, with the Free RPM-Fusion repo enabled, not non-free. Is quite good, particularly the new yum-presto and yum-fastestmirror addons that really speed up downloads/updates, as well as only download changes to files, not needing entire files downloaded all over again. Looking forward to this kind of thing being added to other distros, would really save bandwidth and time.

Also have Linux Mint Universal Edition installed on box in bedroom, and comment out non-free repos. Is quite workable. I changed it to back to the standard Gnome menu, not a fan of the Mint Menu. But otherwise, quite liking it. Tried Debian Lenny on the same box, but the wireless seemed very weak in it, so gave up, was too awkward.

PCLinuxOS is installed on a PC in the lounge for guests to use. I try to keep additional stuff to free only, but it's mainly there for the benefit of visitors, so am not as determined with it.

Have also had Mandriva Free installed on it, with only the Free PLF repo added. Once again, is quite usable this way.

These are the main things I've been sticking to. Kept Blag on laptop, but with unstable, then uncontactable repos, finally moved it to Gnewsense, and then onto Ubuntu 9.04, newer apps, with non-free commented out from sources list. Installed libdvdcss2 in all cases (which is Free Software anyway), but otherwise keep it to Free (Mplayer, Thoggen, assorted multimedia apps, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:20 pm 

@Saint of Killers did you try Trisquel instead of Ubuntu?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:41 pm 

I'm using Musix 2.0, quite good for all the multimedia stuff, specially for the kernel (2.6.29.4 RT) that according with developers was made "for full preempt, ready for low-latency audio operations"
http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/ ... 0_announce

I'm really enjoying all the daily task with openbox+kde in Musix

and.. off course, in the same box I have my lovely dynebolic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:55 pm 

Junichirô wrote:
@Saint of Killers did you try Trisquel instead of Ubuntu?

Mate, my pc's are going schizophrenic as it is from all the things I keep trying on them. :P

Looking at Slackware in a bit, and maybe BSD, but too busy at moment. Just settling on stuff that works. May look at Trisquel later, have gone ape-shit with chewing up my quota this month, and 80%+ already. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 pm 

Saint of Killers wrote:
Fedora 12, with the Free RPM-Fusion repo enabled, not non-free. Is quite good, particularly the new yum-presto and yum-fastestmirror addons that really speed up downloads/updates, as well as only download changes to files, not needing entire files downloaded all over again. Looking forward to this kind of thing being added to other distros, would really save bandwidth and time.

interesting... I think is time to put a third boot on my box
I have a F12 iso and soon i'll try to install it without burning a disc, if you have special suggestions about please let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 pm 

At the moment running Fedora 12 (w/ kernel libre and IceCat), gNewSense 2.3 and Trisquel 3.1 on my laptop. Tried Musix 2.0 for a while, but could't get mobile broadband working (have no DSL, and my wifi is a blob). I'm a Debian addict like Junichirô, so I plan to put Squeeze on a different machine. Still not a big fan of Fedora, but I miss Blag;-) The yum addons in F12 are really nice, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:39 pm 

veganix wrote:
I'm a Debian addict like Junichirô, so I plan to put Squeeze on a different machine. Still not a big fan of Fedora, but I miss Blag;-)

I'm vegan too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 am 

OMG I miss you guys !! Its been 4 years since I'd visited this forum !

since then, I'd switched to Enlightenment (elive) and then PCLinuxOS, and finally Mandriva.

so how is everybody doing ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm 

Junichirô wrote:
I'm vegan too.

You must be a really nice guy;-)

logicmaster wrote:
so how is everybody doing ??

Thanks, I'm fine. Welcome back!

BTW, did a new install of Debian Testing, this time from a weekly build. Fairly smooth, as always. F12 is warming on me, especially after I installed some blagware on it, like grip and claws;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 am 
I think Fedora is the most used by people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm 

I've just started playing around with Fedora 16, running an XFCE desktop and the latest libre kernel. I'm finding it quite customizable, so it could become my new preferred combination of distro and options.