BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: install problems
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:06 am 
I'm new to linux and installing linux, and was recommended blagblagblag so I want to get it working, but I'm got problems with the install...

I've downloaded the ISO image fine, burnt it as per instructions, wiped my laptop harddrive, and stuck my burnt CD in. Everything starts OK, and at the prompt I type 'blagblagblag'. Loads of text appears, but it stops and get stuck after the lines:

running install...
running/sbin/loader

And then nothing happens... Any ideas? Can anyone help?

Chip P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

when you get the the boot prompt, you have two options:

type "linux" (without the quotes)
or, type "linux text" (without the quotes) if just plain "linux" doesn't work :)

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:28 pm 
Thanks. I just did what you recommend, but the install still hangs at the same place :? Any other ideas?

Thanks again...

Chip

Post subject: which blag?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:46 pm 

sorry to hear you're having problems chip. which iso did you download?

this sounds like a problem jebba had with early 29999 isos [which is fixed in the most recent i believe [don't know exactly as i run 19999]].

Post subject: sbin/loader
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:56 pm 

This is normally the symptom of a driver failing to load and stopping everything. To diagnose further, there is a terminal I think to the left (use ALT-LEFT, or ALTSHIFT-F1 or 2 or 3 to access it) of the installer screen which may give you a better clue - its more detailed about process thats hanging. hth good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:38 am 
Site Admin

Chip, let us know what laptop you have. Things like "nofirewire" or "nousb" at the boot: prompt may be needed. Laptops can be a bit dodgy during the hardware probe. Also, check http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to see if there are any notes on installing linux on your particular machine.

Later,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:57 am 
Thanks for your help. I downloaded the 10000 iso image that is on the download page. Thanks for the link to the linux-laptop site too. The laptop I have is a Gateway Solo 5100 and while it isn't listed on the linux-laptop site, similar ones are so it should be helpful. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, when I was up late working on this, I think I did something real bad coz now the laptop won't even get as far as the BIOS. I think I'll have to get back to you guys when I've got a machine that works, but thanks again for all your help. Good luck and hopefully we'll be in touch soon.

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:12 am 
Site Admin

So you don't see anything at all when you start it up? Ugh. Hopefully things will work out for you.