FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Great WM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triangle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Great WM Reply with quote

Thanks to have include XFCE on the CD.
I was Gnome user looking for a ligth WM/Desktop.
In the past I tried Fluxbox but it was not answering my needs.

Just curious I install the XFCE packages to try what it is and I had the great surprise to find exactly what I was looking for (I have an old laptop).

Today it is for a long time my default desktop.

stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use GNOME despite me being on an old computer because I like the panel functionality that GNOME has that is still unmatched by XFce. Plus, I also like the gnome desktop/menu, etc. Although if I am running games I do occasionally use XFce instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome is always installed to manage in graphical mode my computer and the good trick is to lauch nautilus --nodesktop from XFCE ;-)
stevo32
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triangle wrote:
Gnome is always installed to manage in graphical mode my computer and the good trick is to lauch nautilus --nodesktop from XFCE ;-)

Yep, I'm familiar with that trick, although the reasons I keep GNOME are still the file manager, menus and panels...none of which I am satisfied yet with in any other desktop environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy with both GNOME and KDE. Both seem to be fine for me with what I need whereas others tend to lack in certain areas.
Triangle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if I had the possibility I will install all.
My disk is a very old material with 4.4 Gb so I everyday be looking for freespace (thanks to my external CD writer wich is the best friend of Gcombust ;-))

I take the opportunity to ask if someone in the forum knows how to skip the obligation I had to have a fully charged battery (mine is dead) on my Thinkpad 600e to upgrade my bios to see disks larger than 8.4 Giga.

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery dead? Why don't you buy a new one. Heh, I know what you mean being confined to small amounts of disk space tho, I used to have a 6 gig hard drive, until I bought a brand new 160GB one last month :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxbox....one of the lightest wm's out there...takes less resources than xfce..you could actually run a 100mhz box with flux.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, maybe 100mhz, but not 75mhz...that's what i've got as a server, its running a 2.2 kernel :P It even runs X (pretty well bare X, some really uberlightweight WM)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox... it's the light wm used by Damn Small Linux isn't it :?:
stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarceldelaJartele wrote:
Fluxbox... it's the light wm used by Damn Small Linux isn't it :?:

I'm almost 100% sure that's what Damn Small Linux uses :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer a post before asking me why I did not buy a new battery.
The answer is very simple : first, it costs about 150 € and I bought my computer 250 ;-) and the second (thanks to IBM) is that the TP 600e have an IT worldknown problem with handling his battery, the older I know is six month old ;-) So 2 batteries in one year make an expense of 300 €, I prefer buy a new laptop! (that I will do after winning my fight in France to have the possibility to buy one without OS installed -french reading could take a look at www.aful.org (tab Detaxe).

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP