FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
install from dvd?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: install from dvd? Reply with quote

Hello all. I look forward to using blag as i've been slacker for the past 6 years.

Anyhow, I just recently recieved my blag dvd today. boots ok, but for install, it insists upon a cd. What files do I need to burn off the dvd to make a boot cd to install blag? or is there some way I can do it off of the dvd?

I've already tried copying the entire dvd to an iso image on my hd to try a hard drive install, to no avail...Then I tried F2 at some point, to select other media, but hdd and hdc neither work, one is cd burner, orther is dvd burner...

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

flark
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn, forgot to login before i posted that...sorry
stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not understanding what you want to do...

Do you want to install from CD?

You've confused me...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants to install using the dvd,,,,haven't tried this myself b/c

1.no dvd drive(that works anyway)
2. no dvd burner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the confusion.

yes, i want to install from the dvd.

but when i chose the local cdrom option (no dvd one avail) it doesn't work.

so i want to know what I need to burn off the dvd to a cd to install...or how to install from the dvd.

stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I understand now...if all else fails, you can always 'install from internet' if you have broadband...but 'install from CD' SHOULD work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry no broadband...tried the "install from cd" a zillion+ times...

Is there any special boot up options i can use or anything to make it recognize the dvd?

stevo32
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have a few questions:

are you using the 10000 DVD? what version?

what happens when you select install from CD?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dvd i recieved is "blag 19999 DVD build 80"

when i choose install from cd, it scans the cd drive, not the dvd, the one it booted from, and then says, no install cd can be found...

so i tried hitting F2 to use other devices. it asks for a "driver disk" to which i point to both hdc and hdd, but neither give me any repsonse...

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, not much i can do to help that, might want to ask jebba.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody else got any suggestions as to what to do?
I'm really anxious to get blag up and running.

If anything...can you tell me what files to copy off the dvd to a cd to create a boot/install cd of blag, minus the fedora and redhat files? Is that possible? The rpm section in the blag folder is 2 gigs...so i know i can't put all the software in there...but if i can get a core up and running....you know...i can do the rest.

flark
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible that the dvd i got is just jacked, and i should get another?
i think i might do that.

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that...e-mail jebba at moe@blagblagblagREMOVE.org, maybe you'll get somewhere then cause I'm out of ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, sorry about the lag. I'll have regular net access starting in a couple days.

Anyway, you can install off the DVD just like it's a regular CD. You don't need to do any other tricks or anything like that. No need to copy the contents to a parition, or other voodoo.

Every time I've installed from the DVD it just read the DVD, even on systems with an additional CDROM. You shouldn't "have" to, but you could just disconnect the second CDROM or something. If both of them are DVD drives, put the disc in the other drive. You could try swapping the drives around or something too. Again, I've installed off DVD a bunch of times on a bunch of systems and it just read straight from the DVD drive no questions, just like a CD. You might have something funky with your setup (?).

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, to burn the DVD image, I use one of the following two commands. For some drives I use one command, for others the other command.

Using growisofs:
Code:
growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=BLAG-10000-DVD.iso

Using dvdrecord:
Code:
dvdrecord -v -eject -data -dao dev=cdrom BLAG-10000-DVD.iso

I also then verify it thusly:
Code:
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/checkisomd5 /dev/cdrom

-Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP