BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: VNC server
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Ok this is a pretty vague question and may not even warrant an answer but I have been getting calls from friends saying they cannot VNC into their box even though VNC server has been enabled. They say VNC'ing into Windows is easy. So is there anything overly obvious refusing a connection? My first thought is that iptables blocks the port which isn't a bad thing since security is important whereas on Windows you only get alerted if you took the time to install a firewall. I haven't got access to the box itself though I will be using a shell on there sometime tomorrow. So if anyone has any suggestions before I dive in they will be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Ok, since I have VNC set up on all my computer (windoz too), I guess I'll blurb out whateva I'm gonna say now:

First, make sure port 5900 is open, both TCP and UDP, both directions.

Second, I'd recommend you get the tightvnc-server, as it is better than the regular vnc-server (much better compression and therefore speed without quality loss). Also use tightvnc(-viewer) instead of the default one, its much more efficient, like the server.

Finally, check all the configuration files, which are located in:
/usr/share/doc/tightvnc-1.2.9

Don't forget to set the passwords:

/etc/sysconfig/vncservers

Also, use x11vnc if you want to open a VNC connection on a X11 server that is already open.

If you need any more help/advice, just lemme know. Best of luck!

Post subject: VNC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:57 pm 

The part i got stuck on X's console numerology voodoo when using vncserver on linux. Here a solution:

On the server run this:
Code:
vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -alwaysshared

and on the client:
Code:
vncviewer 192.168.1.2:1

Substitue in' :1' whatever screen you want to use, thus you can run multiple servers...
Substitute '800x600' for whatever is appropriate to your cient monitor (not server)

Last edited by kazim on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: VNC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:48 pm 
kazim wrote:
The part i got stuck on X's console numerology voodoo when using vncserver on linux. Here a solution:

On the server run this:
Code:
vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -alwaysshared

and on the client:
Code:
vncviewer ip-address:1

Substitue in' :1' whatever screen you want to use, thus you can run multiple servers...
Substitute '800x600' for whatever is appropriate to your cient monitor (not server)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:58 pm 

What I am having problems with however is getting vnc to use the correct window Manager. Although i have used switchdesk get XFCE, and that works fine for the actual console, *but* vncserver continues to TWM. Thus my vncviewer just gets TWM.

Does anyone know how to get vncserver to use another WM? Or rather, where else is TWM set as window manager, where switchdesk is not changin it?

:arrow: err.. stevo you said u use it a lot? How do you get to choose your wm?