FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
blag on live-usb can't get wireless internet connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txe
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: blag on live-usb can't get wireless internet connection Reply with quote

Hi Comm,
I have just tried to run blag on a live usb (by netbootin burned on fedora) but unsuccessful. The network app says the "device is not ready".
I already have had this problem when trying with debian and other distros, but I never found how-to sort that out until discovered fedora.
I read that blag is a free (for freedom specially) based on fedora so I tried it.
I'd appreciate if anyone could enlighten me about how-to get this done.
By:
Quote:
$ dmesg
at fedora cli I got that my wireless NIC is the one below:
Quote:
iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, in-tree:ds

That's all I know so far (though I threaten to learn) lol. Actually not no long now I was a poor windouzer, now I'm starting using emacs & understanding what's this all about and so on..
Thank you anyway if otherwise.
Txe

Junichirô
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run blag with a kernel linux-libre your wireless connection will not work because the firmware isn't free and the kernel will not load it.
Take a new wireless card or an USB wifi stick that runs with free firmware; or install a kernel from fedora. But I'll move the thread in the non-free section.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Ah, Ok. I got it. I should upgrade my hardware to e.g. a free soft supported wiffi usb device. Yeap. Because going for a compiling kernel like solution is what we already got e.g. with fedora, don't we?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP