BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Longhorn's new schedule
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:35 am 
(really can't login...)

The release schedule I published in The Road to Windows "Longhorn" 2004 was accurate at the time it was published. However, as is so often the case, Microsoft has revised that schedule. What hasn't changed is the May 2006 release date: While internal discussions at Microsoft recently questioned whether August 2006 would be more viable, the word has come down from on high: May 2006 is non-negotiable. Longhorn will be released to manufacturing in May 2006, according to senior Microsoft executives.

Here's the new schedule.

Longhorn Beta 1 code complete
March 16, 2005

Longhorn Beta 1 internal release and domain rollout
April 2005

Longhorn Beta 2 (and product) code complete
July 1, 2005

Longhorn Beta 2 internal release
Q3 2005

Longhorn Beta 2 public release
September 2005 (PDC 2005)

Longhorn Release Candidate 0 (RC0) internal release
Q4 2005

Longhorn Release Candidate 1 (RC1) internal release
March 2006

Longhorn release to manufacturing (RTM)
May 2006

Notice the inclusion of a RC0 build, which is unusual. The last time Microsoft shipped an RC0 build of a Windows product, I believe, was with Windows Millennium Edition (Me). RC0 releases are typically designed to give Microsoft's hardware and software partners enough time to develop drivers and compatible software in time for the final release of a product.

Microsoft briefly considered having only one beta release, but the company is now "firm" on two betas.

It's juste over one year... M$ developpers are really crazy ?!
Really strange, and the explorer.exe take 150MB memory... 'think Longhorn will be a Windows Millenium-like, not an operating system, a shit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I look forward to Longhorn. Competition is always good and choice is even better. I personally won't use it myself but think it will just push forward the OS standards.

I think M$ are due a good one......

98 > crap
NT > good
ME > crap
Win2k > good
XP > crap
LH > ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to Longhorn....coming in 2010. That will allow for Linux to grab some more marketshare. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 am 
WinFS will not be included in Longhorn but it's true that LH will bring a lot of new technologies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well the way I see it is that Windows whether it steals ideas or not does bring along a decent feel and look to the desktop operating system. So let them spend billions designing it while the open source world writes better more reliable software. Windows is great for showing exactly what is lacking in an operating system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:43 pm 
It's true that M$ steals the ideas of everyone, but they just got 20 000 developpers, there are more than 200 000 developpers in the open source world so it's normal that the work of the open source is cleaner :wink:

Here's what I think :
Microsoft - Linux
Price : Microsoft is bad, Linux rocks
Games : Microsoft rocks, Linux is bad
Security : Microsoft is bad, Linux rocks
Stability : Microsoft is a little better than before but it's always bad, Linux rocks
Softwares : Microsoft rocks, Linux rocks

So if you know all that you can choose between a M$ or an open source operating system :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

The situation for gaming is improving, major games like UT2004, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are running on Linux. Hopefully we'll get more gaming on Linux soon (WINE, better get working on your own DX to GL convertor for modern DX versions!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:04 am 
stevo32 wrote:
(WINE, better get working on your own DX to GL convertor for modern DX versions!)

:D :D :D
I like that :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

yeah, they've already got it partially working for some versions like 6 :P If only they had it for more modern versions....*sigh*