|Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:22 pm Post subject: 30k Update 2005-01-18: dovecot-0.99.13-3.FC3
Fedora Update Notification
Product : Fedora Core 3
Name : dovecot
Version : 0.99.13
Release : 3.FC3
Summary : Dovecot Secure imap server
Dovecot is an IMAP server for Linux/UNIX-like systems, written with security
primarily in mind. It also contains a small POP3 server. It supports mail
in either of maildir or mbox formats.
This is a bug fix update for the Dovecot IMAP server. This brings the
Red Hat Dovecot rpm up to date with the latest upstream release from
Timo Sirainen, version 0.99.13 released on Jan 6th 2005.
Upstream Fixes are noted below and below that are Red Hat specific
Please note there have been some changes to the /etc/dovecot.conf
file. When the rpm installs it may create /etc/dovecot.conf.rpmnew
file with the new version of the config file while preserving your
previous /etc/dovecot.conf file if you have modified the config
file. It would be prudent to compare the two files and see if you need
to adjust your configuration.
This version of the rpm also reverts a configuration file change that
appeared in dovecot-0.99.13-2.FC3 which had disabled overriding the
default mbox_locks value of “fcntl dotlock". This caused the creation
of dotlocks in addition to fcntl. This was a change from the previous
behavior and created some problems. The previous mbox_lock value of
fcntl only was restored to the config file.
Aside from the upstream fixes notable change in the RPM include:
- University of Washington Imap (UW Imap) migration documentation and
scripts in the doc area (/usr/share/doc/dovecot-*)
- More example configurations in the doc area.
- The script to generate SSL certificates (mkcert in the doc area) now
is congruent with Red Hat’s OpenSSL rpm.
- The init.d script now starts dovecot later (it used to start it
before named). If this problem was affecting your installation
you’ll have to chkconfig del and add to recreate the rc.d sym links,
new installations will automatically pick up the new start order.
- Add a Red Specific FAQ to the doc area, mostly to address issues
some sites were having with dot lock file creation.
====== Upstream Fixes ======
* GNUTLS support hasn’t been working for a while, so it’s not even
tried to be used anymore unless explicitly wanted.
+ Added CRAM-MD5 authentication mechanism. Patch by Joshua Goodall
+ Added SMD5 and LDAP-MD5 password schemes and changed MD5 scheme to
use LDAP-MD5 if the password isn’t in MD5crypt format. Patch by
+ Workaround for some POP3 client bugs: if message doesn’t contain the
“end of headers” empty line, add it automatically.
+ vpopmail supports now all password schemes, most importantly
MD5crypt works now without support from libc’s crypt()
- SQL and LDAP authentication was broken
- SEARCH UNKEYWORD wasn’t working
- Fix memory leaks in LDAP, MySQL and PGSQL userdb/passdb
- Fix hanging when parsing mails that have over 4096 bytes in one
line (SMTP servers normally don’t allow over 1000 bytes so it
shouldn’t be much of a problem)
- FETCH BODYSTRUCTURE sometimes gave a wrong reply
(eg. with FETCH (BODYSTRUCTURE RFC822.SIZE) if it wasn’t cached)
- Never return more than one INBOX in LIST even if there are such
files. They don’t work anyway and it just confuses clients.
- mbox: Don’t allow creating INBOX directory by creating/renaming
mailboxes under it. They just wouldn’t work.
- POP3: Don’t return PLAIN in SASL list. We don’t support initial SASL
responses, so it only breaks with most clients that try to use it.
- IMAP and POP3 login processes may have sent each line in two IP
packets, one with the data and another with CR+LF. Some clients
didn’t work because of this.
====== Red Hat RPM Fixes ======
- fix bug #145214, mbox_lock is fcntl only in config file, remove dotlock default
- fix bug #145241, remove errant dependency on primary postgres & mysql rpms
- add REDHAT-FAQ.txt to doc directory
- fix bug #143707, bring up to date with latest upstream, 0.99.13,
- fix bug #14462, bad dovecot-uid macro name
- fix bug #133618, removed LITERAL+ capability from capability string
- fix bug #134325, stop dovecot during installation
- fix bug #129539, dovecot starts too early,
set chkconfig to 65 35 to match cyrus-imapd
- fix bug #139954, add UW to Dovecot migration documentation and scripts
- fix bug #139276, fix SSL documentation and scripts, add missing documentation
- fix bug #136623 Change License field from GPL to LGPL to reflect
- fix bug #124786, listen to ipv6 as well as ipv4
* Mon Jan 17 2005 John Dennis 0.99.13-3.FC3
- fix bug #145214, force mbox_locks to fcntl only
- fix bug #145241, remove prereq on postgres and mysql, allow rpm auto
dependency generator to pick up client lib dependency if needed.
This update can be downloaded from: