BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

I still use `vi` but I have a couple things to throw in.

Mozilla composer can do server relative links. I'd be shocked it nvu couldn't do this (it's based on mozilla composer and looks quite a bit like it when I ran it). I honestly (& respectfully) submit that you are just doing it wrong. Take another peek.

As for SSI within the composer, that sounds like a nice feature. Perhaps you could submit an RFE (Request For Enhancement) to the nvu team. It's certainly a feature they could add.

Same goes for the way you'd like to see site management.

Also, nvu is Free Software. Dreamweaver is proprietary. Dreamweaver should be avoided for that reason alone... It is certainly possible to make nice sites with nvu today. If you make it your composer of choice, the community will benefit from your feedback...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:13 am 

First I thought NVU's 'publishing site settings' would handle this, but apparently not. So the software has no way of telling what the root of the website is. I can't see any way so far...

Currently NVU won't even pick up my stylesheets which are encoded:

/style/global2004.css

I agree, NVU is a terrific tool. Like lots of opensource, it is phenomenal to get something of this quality for free. I'll recommend it to people.
Good idea to give the development team some feedback too.

I also agree it's good to move away from Dreamweaver if I can. Currently I'm at the stage of checking out what is available and whether it can do what I need. The other area I think has some way to go in Linux is video production. I need to find viable replacements for Vegas and VirtualDub.

If the opensource video codec that the BBC has started off (Dirac) starts to become popular, then that may losen the grip of Windows Media and Real Media in this area too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:15 am 
Site Admin

RickUK wrote:
If the opensource video codec that the BBC has started off (Dirac) starts to become popular, then that may losen the grip of Windows Media and Real Media in this area too.

Also see theora video codec, by the group that made ogg, which is quite good.