FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
telnet agent running on boot up(BLAG9002)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: telnet agent running on boot up(BLAG9002)? Reply with quote

I have BLAG9002. Just out of curiosity I went to http://scan.sygate.com/. They scan the ports on your box over the net for "visibility", trojans and the like. The results of the "quick test" showed that I had a telnet agent running and port 23 was open. I think the associated app was the sshd, which I stopped using redhat-config-services. I did another quicktest and port 23 was closed. Is this a problem / security issue? Please do let me know if I appear to be paranoid.

Edited for silly gramatical errors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I SSH to and from my machines so I have it open. I just flush iptables when I want to use it and stick iptables back on when I am done. I doubt it is that much of a risk since someone does need a login to actually get into your box. Closing it is probably the safest way for the paranoid :)
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

sshd is encrypted telnet. It runs on port 22, however. You sure it wasn't port 22 that was open? That would just mean sshd was running, which is typical.

To stop sshd:
Code:
/sbin/service sshd stop

To make it so sshd doesn't start on boot:
Code:
/sbin/chkconfig --level 35 sshd off

Telnet is run under xinetd, so to stop it, you'd substitute "xinetd" for sshd above.

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP