BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: menu layout
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

hey, for those of you that have taken a test drive of 29k, you'll have noticed (if you did a new install or added a new user after an upgrade) that the layout of the desktop is different.

It puts the "star" and adds "actions" across the top of the screen, and at the bottom just has a "hide desktop" button.

I like the addition of the "actions" button, but don't like this going across the top. I was thinking of putting it all at the bottom, ala blag9k/10k/etc. but also using the new "actions" button.

What do you all think?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:47 am 
Site Admin

Screw the actions buttons. I've seen 'em, used 'em, and hate 'em. If you want to give them a try w/out installing anything, gnoppix ( www.gnoppix.org ) has a GNOME 2.8 LiveCD, so you can go ahead and see what he means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:36 am 

I probably prefer the menu look in 9k and 10k, but it's not that important for me. I've gotten used to the new gnome menu structure from using ubuntu (never could get blag to boot on that machine) and now I don't mind it too much.

But since there are lots of posts about keeping blag good for older PCs, might want to see which approach uses less screen space. The 14" crt on my test box is pretty cramped with menu bars on the top and the bottom of the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

I think having everything at the bottom is just best all round. It works fine for most users I have come across. It also keeps things consistent for those migrating from OSX/Windows. Experienced users will just move them to where they want anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:43 am 
hmmm, you know that you can just click and drag the bar to the bottom instead right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
hmmm, you know that you can just click and drag the bar to the bottom instead right?

Ya, but I was talking about the default layout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:56 am 
Site Admin

Default layout means an awful lot. People would be complaining en masse if Windoz moved the taskbar to the top/side even if it was horribly easy to move it. Good defaults are vital to keeping users. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Menus are quite important. Most ppl that are very new to *nix would see the "star" and think "right, gotta click that just like it did under doze. Hmm, this seems simple, loads of things to click, just like doze....". A well desgined, simple menu is essential. I personally think that the default menus fc1/2 are too complicated. You do get used to them but, system, system settings, preferences all sound a bit too similar. The location of the menu does not matter as one can drag it as required.
The Ubuntu menus are very clean, just two top dirs and everything stems from there. That's my tuppence worth. This ain't a rant. I remember the first time I used 9002, looking at the menu thinking "aaargh". Mind you I hate KDE, that's much worse. Overwhelming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

I think the menu placement does matter. Not everyone realises you can just drag it. I think we just need to stick with the bottom right now. For us lot it is not an issue. How many of us use BLAG out of the box and customise it anyway? I would say a fair few.