BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:39 am 

Ok people...this is urgent... I read that an exploit in IDN can allow url spoofing..THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. TURN IDN OFF. Go into about:config in mozilla or firefox and set network.enableIDN to false. It is for all of our blaggers safety.

Read more about it here

http://www.shmoo.com/idn/homograph.txt

Thank you,

Demitri

Last edited by TSS_Killer on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:54 am 
Site Admin

FYI, your box isn't going to melt. This isn't a remote exploit or anything... ;)

Basically, what the exploit does is allow sites to /fake links/ (called phishing). So a site could have a link to http://www.paypal.com but it actually sends you to a different site. This can be done because it uses other "international" characters in the address.

A way to check to make sure that someone isn't sending you to the wrong address is to right click on the URL, "Copy Link Location" and paste it in gedit. If any of the characters look "weird" (e.g different font) then the URL is bogus.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I thought the copy link location was a standard procedure for most users anyway? Maybe it is just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:24 am 
Site Admin

No, he means like, paste it in GEdit and take a look. Because even if you paste it somewhere in Mozilla it'll still be warped. :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

I posted my last post when at work booted in Windows using IE. So I got to see it anyways :) I meant though that most people should actually hand type URL's. How many people here use eBay or PayPal and get 9 million messages a week stating your account has been suspended etc. The URL always looks legit until you click it and then realise you have been screwed. So as a matter of precaution I always hand type URL's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/arc ... 07586.html

"New Short-Term Patch For IDN-based Spoofing

Darin Fisher, network supremo, has pulled it out of the bag and come up with a less drastic short-term solution to the IDN problem. It has just been checked in for all three upcoming releases. Read about it over in bug 282270, but basically IDN will still work, but all occurrences of IDN domains in the browser UI (URL bar, security info etc.) will be the punycode form. There is a pref to re-enable full IDN - set "network.IDN_show_punycode" to false. As with the previous plan, this preference will be set to true in all official builds.

As I've said in previous blogposts, turning off IDN entirely was always an suboptimal solution, and I'm very pleased we've managed to find a third way. The search goes on for something better long-term - I'm sure you'll all agree that, while showing the punycode domain all the time solves the immediate spoofing problem, the fewer browsers out there that do it, the better."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:39 pm 
Maybe it should be set to being off as default on the new Blag.