FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Installing Red Hat Enterprise 4....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okhan100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Installing Red Hat Enterprise 4.... Reply with quote

Got hold of a copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. Using VMware GSX server to load up the software.

The installation says that it cannot find the hard drive (Using normal IDE based hard drives) and suggests that i install a scsi device driver.

Any clues to get this going??

Cheers

Omar

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, in vmware you can use IDE or SCSI emulation. I believe SCSI emulation is recommended. Sooo, set up vmware to use scsi emulation and install onto the SCSI disk, even though it's IDE. ;)

-Jeff

okhan100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Thanks for the timely response.

The virtual disk is indeed configured as SCSI. The problem is that the Linux install wants me to provide a SCSI contrioller driver. I have been through the default options offered by the install and cannot see anything relavant. I have tried choosing various SCSIdrivers that the install offers but this does not work.

The VMware website does not offer a solution or a virtual driver either.

In short i have to provide a SCSI driver for the install to see my virtual hard drive.

I believe this is a feature of the new versioni of Red Hat Enterprise. The Earlier version installed fine on the same platform.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

(I just started playing with Linux so i apologise for my poor linux knowledege.)

cheers

Omar

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default I think vmware uses a Buslogic driver and the other option is LSI(?).
okhan100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

That is correct, however, within the Linux install program i do not have the option to select such a driver.

My research found an artical ( http://www.itweek.co.uk/products/software/1161217) that quoted the following ..."although we needed to configure ESX Server to present a virtual LSI SCSI chip to the Red Hat software because RHEL 4 does not automatically install drivers for ESX's default BusLogic SCSI interface."

Does this mean i will have to create a driver?? I am notr entirely sure what this means.

I have configured the VMware config to see a LSI SCSI, but i get the same problem where the Hard drive is not recognised. Red Hat Enterprise 3 does not have this problem.

Thanks

Omar

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMm. Sorry. I don't know. vmware appears to work fine & find the buslogic driver for fedora core 3, which RHEL is derived from.

I saw some problems with FC4test1 & vmware's drive, but it did find it. I haven't tested it much. Sry...

okhan100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Your time is much appreciated and many thanks.

Omar

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP