FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Very new to Linux, please be gentle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reinraus00
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Very new to Linux, please be gentle Reply with quote

I have a successful BLAG install but Grub will not boot it without the boot disk. I'm sure it is something I have done, or not done. Any help will be much appreciated.
slick50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this and see if this will work for you....

1>Method One - Boot from Installation CD
boot from the linux CD.
type this at the boot prompt:
linux rescue
use the ensuing rescue procedure to get to a command line, with your / mounted, say as /mnt/rescue
then say this:
chroot /mnt/rescue
now your / on your HDD is mounted as / and not /mnt/rescue (formerly, / was the root of the RAM drive your CD boot sets up.)
Now, type this:
/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
now this
exit
exit
and reboot.
2> Method 2 - Boot from rescue floppy
once the floppy is booted, and you have logged in:
/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
now reboot.

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, during the install, you left the grub screen to it's default settings, it should have installed grub on the MBR so it should come up at boot.

The procedure described above will work, but may be a bit complicated if you're new to GNU/Linux. You could also boot the CD again, and go through the upgrade process (it will detect your current settings). It will then allow you to re-install grub. This may be easier for you.

-Jeff

Reinraus00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would like to thank you all for the very quick responses. I am very grateful. I am glad to say that, as far as I know, the problem is fixed. I did try to boot the upgrade from the disk and that did not work. I tried a couple of the listed options and nothing at all. But I kept getting this error about “could not align partition properly” or something like that and that the “MBR may have been written by another program incorrectly” so I reformatted the hard drive (previously running XP) and tried a fresh install. After that, it still gave me another error but said it would be ok to ignore, but I should “force LBA” and so I did that and it said that ”forcing LBA may not be good for some systems because it may not let them boot” or something like that. So I rebooted and everything seems to be fine and it is starting without the boot floppy. I just thought I would go through these steps for the sake of others who may have similar problems or are just new to Linux like myself. BLAG, by the way, is THE best Linux distro I have came across. It simply has everything! Thanks to everyone again.
Triangle not logged in
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in the Free world....
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP