FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
NTFS grief

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: NTFS grief Reply with quote

shortly after installing 30k i followed the instructions here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml#ntfs

and here:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html

to mount my ntfs drive. all went well, but after apt-get dist-upgrade last week i noticed the drive was unmounted. i checked fstab, but the lines i'd added were still intact. so, i returned to the pages linked above and tried to reinstall the ntfs kernel module, but was told it was already installed, so i ran thru the instructions again and after typing

/sbin/modprobe ntfs

i got:

FATAL: Module ntfs not found.

returned.

i don't understand why the package manager tells me the module is installed, yet i get the above message back.

any ideas?

i'm still new to this game, but i don't think i've tinkered with anything i shouldn't have, although, of course i can't totally rule that out.

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you updated your kernel. ? You can do this to find out your kernel:

Code:
uname -a
rpm -q kernel

Then find a matching NTFS module in that linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net page. You'll also have to match the architecture (e.g. i586, i686, smp, etc):

Code:
rpm -q --queryformat %{ARCH} kernel

You could also run this to make sure that the modules all get "found":
Code:
/sbin/depmod -a

-Jeff

Nick
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply jeff.

i'd already checked the arch & kernel, they're ok. i typed /sbin/depmod -a and it returned #, what do i do next? i tried the modprobe command again and got the the same FATAL return.

also, how do you get those green code boxes in your posts, can i get them too?

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
thanks for the quick reply jeff.

i'd already checked the arch & kernel, they're ok. i typed /sbin/depmod -a and it returned #, what do i do next? i tried the modprobe command again and got the the same FATAL return.

Can you let me know what the results are of the rpm's and ARCH and all that jazz? Also, for the version of ntfs kernel module would be good.

Nick wrote:
also, how do you get those green code boxes in your posts, can i get them too?

Hit the "Code" button at the top of the forum compose window.

Also try this:
Code:
find /lib/modules -name ntfs.ko

That'll tell you under which kernel the ntfs modules are installed.

-Jeff

Nick
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, been busy today...
anyway, here's what you asked for...
Code:

uname -r
2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at

Code:

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -q --queryformat %{ARCH} kernel
i586i686i686[root@localhost ~]#

is this return normal? i installed everything i could from planetCCRMA, which, i think, was a kernel update of some sort (although this was BEFORE i first mounted the NTFS drive successfully).
then:
Code:

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -ihv kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-2.1.22-0.rr.5.3.i686.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
        package kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-2.1.22-0.rr.5.3 is already installed

then:
Code:

[root@localhost ~]# /sbin/modprobe ntfs
FATAL: Module ntfs not found.

so, as it says in the help pages http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/help.html#unres i:
Code:

[root@localhost /]# rpm2cpio kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-2.1.22-0.rr.5.3.i686.rpm | cpio -id
rpm2cpio: kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-2.1.22-0.rr.5.3.i686.rpm: No such file or directory
cpio: premature end of archive

then, following your advice,
Code:

[root@localhost /]# find /lib/modules -name ntfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.741_FC3/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.ko

so what does this mean? do i have 3 kernels? obviously the ccrma part is showing up, but is this saying that all 3 modules are ntfs equipped?

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a bunch of kernels.

Uh, had you pointed out first time around that you had CCRMA'd out the system, changed kernels, etc. it would have been much clearer.

Anyway, you have some NTFS modules installed such as

Just boot that kernel and you should be good to go for NTFS. If you want to run CCRMA kernels, you'll have to ask 'em over there. I'm not sure about their system (though I have installed packages of theirs on a system).

Nick
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, you have some NTFS modules installed such as

Just boot that kernel and you should be good to go for NTFS.

how do i boot into this kernel?

sorry Jeff, i feel a bit of a twat for not telling you about the ccrma module sooner. i only ditched doze in february and have found some of the migration quite hard, but i'm really impressed with the distro and the level of support for BLAG and intend to stick it out.

thanks for getting me this far.

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you boot up, you get the screen right after the bios that like counts down from 5 seconds or whatever before the kernel loads. Hit spacebar or something at that point, then you'll get a list of kernels. Pick one of the ones that also has ntfs.ko (see above, or just try various ones...).

-Jeff

Nick
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok great, thanks.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP