BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:46 am 
I've been using BLAG 29K for a week now, and I'm very happy with. It's a Sempron chip with a SiS motherboard all in one. Nice and solid OS. I would say this is my favorite operating system that I've ever used yet. A lot of the little things done are really nice as well as the solid foundation.

I've felt the need to add very few applications packages. I installed compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which was needed to install: HelixPlayer-1.0.3.749-20050301.i586.rpm It is also needed if users wish to install the non free RealPlayer. I also replaced elinks with links-2.1pre15-2.i386.rpm which has a snazzy graphics mode which has saved my butt many times. Speaking of non free video, it would be nice if mplayer was looking where the docs say the default place for codecs were. Or perhaps just virtual link them together.

I've noticed that both XFCE and Blackbox app menus are all wrong, which is opposed to 10K when Blackbox was sort of wrong. A couple installed apps seemed to be missing from the Gnome application menu, from what I can tell the CD ripping and burning front ends. Do they have DVD ripping/burrning front end yet? Also it would seem that virtual DVD links are missing for DVD and DVD burners, but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

I'll probably add a Fluxxbox login with Rox and some SysMon and a bunch of system tools, sort of what Helix 1.5 was like. I do think it's nice to have a clean Blackbox too. I though I would like XFCE, but so far it looked sort of blah to me, but it was not set up as I said. I love the log in art for BLAG, that guy on the beach. Very cool.

When you allow the personal firewall to be installed, does it interfere with things like aMule? Speaking of, i keep thinking mlDonkey might be a nice addition. The one I get it myself has none of the servers filled in.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:08 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Canada
I'd really like for the inclusion of this RPM:

compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm

I've found alot of stuff grouches about wanting the old version.

:(

Mind you, I have alot of legacy apps.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

_________________
E-mail me at s.clement@localhost (replace localhost with sympatico.ca) or stevo32@localhost (replace localhost with blagblagblag.org).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
slash wrote:
I've been using BLAG 29K for a week now, and I'm very happy with. It's a Sempron chip with a SiS motherboard all in one. Nice and solid OS. I would say this is my favorite operating system that I've ever used yet. A lot of the little things done are really nice as well as the solid foundation.


Thanks. :)

slash wrote:
I've felt the need to add very few applications packages. I installed compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which was needed to install: HelixPlayer-1.0.3.749-20050301.i586.rpm It is also needed if users wish to install the non free RealPlayer. I also replaced elinks with links-2.1pre15-2.i386.rpm which has a snazzy graphics mode which has saved my butt many times. Speaking of non free video, it would be nice if mplayer was looking where the docs say the default place for codecs were. Or perhaps just virtual link them together.


IIRC, mplayer looks in /usr/lib/win32 I'm not sure what the mplayer docs say, as there's lots of mplayer docs... The RPM from atrpms.net puts them where the stock blag mplayer looks.

I'll see about adding compat-libstdc++. But it should install fine if you apt-get something that needs it.

slash wrote:
I've noticed that both XFCE and Blackbox app menus are all wrong, which is opposed to 10K when Blackbox was sort of wrong.


I haven't done any tweaking of the XFCE or blackbox from fedora. Kevin Fenzi (of Linux Security HOWTO) is now maintaining XFCE for fedora extras. I'll see if he has FC3 builds. It may be a bit late in the game to change that. Blackbox finally had a new release, after years. Maybe down the road I'll see if I can get it in there. But really, I think at this point in the game 30k is pretty finished. Perhaps for 30k1 or the repo later on.

slash wrote:
A couple installed apps seemed to be missing from the Gnome application menu, from what I can tell the CD ripping and burning front ends. Do they have DVD ripping/burrning front end yet? Also it would seem that virtual DVD links are missing for DVD and DVD burners, but perhaps I'm wrong on that.


graveman is the CD/DVD burner--it's under accessories in the menu, which may not be the best spot. There is a DVD ripper under "Sound & Video" provided by the rpm perl-Video-DVDRip.

slash wrote:
I'll probably add a Fluxxbox login with Rox and some SysMon and a bunch of system tools, sort of what Helix 1.5 was like. I do think it's nice to have a clean Blackbox too. I though I would like XFCE, but so far it looked sort of blah to me, but it was not set up as I said. I love the log in art for BLAG, that guy on the beach. Very cool.


Rox & stuff is OK, but I think we dropped it after 9k or so.

The guy at the beach is a gal, actually my gf. :)

slash wrote:
When you allow the personal firewall to be installed, does it interfere with things like aMule? Speaking of, i keep thinking mlDonkey might be a nice addition. The one I get it myself has none of the servers filled in.


The firewall may interfere with aMule, but i haven't tested it. It can download a list of servers. Just put your cursor on the "http://www.srv1000.com/azz/server.met" line and hit enter. Not the best, I guess though.

Some more p2p stuff would be nice to add, but for some reason, they are always really weird to package...

Glad you're liking the blag trip. :)

-Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 am 
jebba wrote:
IIRC, mplayer looks in /usr/lib/win32 I'm not sure what the mplayer docs say, as there's lots of mplayer docs... The RPM from atrpms.net puts them where the stock blag mplayer looks.


the readme in the codecs files claims /usr/lib/codecs is the default, but maybe this is a case of not having things in sync. Either that or fedora doing things differently.

jebba wrote:
I'll see about adding compat-libstdc++. But it should install fine if you apt-get something that needs it.


I found it using google. Great RPM finder. The main problem was other package makers not putting it in as a dependency.

jebba wrote:
But really, I think at this point in the game 30k is pretty finished. Perhaps for 30k1 or the repo later on.


With the speend of Fedora releases, it might be best to think about 40k :)

jebba wrote:
graveman is the CD/DVD burner--it's under accessories in the menu, which may not be the best spot. There is a DVD ripper under "Sound & Video" provided by the rpm perl-Video-DVDRip.


Seems to be a case of some apps not getting installed. Which is easy enough to fix. I can never quite decide if BLAG or me is to blame. Probably me.

jebba wrote:
Rox & stuff is OK, but I think we dropped it after 9k or so.


I'm making a BLAG Plus disk for myself with the several packages I personally like to add to an install. As I said before, wtih BLAG this isn't very much. It's pretty easy to grab what you need from Fedora or the web.

jebba wrote:
The guy at the beach is a gal, actually my gf. :)


Well I haven't logged in for quite a few days now.. having a stable computer is a nice chanage for me.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
slash wrote:
jebba wrote:
I'll see about adding compat-libstdc++. But it should install fine if you apt-get something that needs it.


I found it using google. Great RPM finder. The main problem was other package makers not putting it in as a dependency.


You know you can just install stuff from the blag repository, right? To install it you can just run:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install compat-libstdc++


slash wrote:
With the speend of Fedora releases, it might be best to think about 40k :)


I'm not quite sure, but FC4 is looking a bit like FC2. In other words, pretty bleeding edge and perhaps not a solid base. I may just stick with tweaking 30k unitl FC5 (which should be out late 2005 early 2006).

slash wrote:
jebba wrote:
graveman is the CD/DVD burner--it's under accessories in the menu, which may not be the best spot. There is a DVD ripper under "Sound & Video" provided by the rpm perl-Video-DVDRip.


Seems to be a case of some apps not getting installed. Which is easy enough to fix. I can never quite decide if BLAG or me is to blame. Probably me.


Whoops, not in the comps.xml. It's there now, so it will be available for the installer. It would have only installed if you did an "Everything" install.

Again, to add it, you could just run (well, presuming you knew it existed...):
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install graveman


Thanks for the feedback :)

-Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:01 am 
jebba wrote:
slash wrote:
jebba wrote:
You know you can just install stuff from the blag repository, right? To install it you can just run:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install compat-libstdc++


I did not know blag had a repository. I tend to be one who likes to look through a list of the packages, rather than knowing ahead of time. I'll have to play with that. Another package that seems to be missing in BLAG and Fedora Core 3 is unrar. Which is strange as rar is getting popular these days. I ended up installing the FC2 version.

-Jason


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG 29K Experience
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:08 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Canada
slash wrote:
jebba wrote:
slash wrote:
jebba wrote:
You know you can just install stuff from the blag repository, right? To install it you can just run:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install compat-libstdc++


I did not know blag had a repository. I tend to be one who likes to look through a list of the packages, rather than knowing ahead of time. I'll have to play with that. Another package that seems to be missing in BLAG and Fedora Core 3 is unrar. Which is strange as rar is getting popular these days. I ended up installing the FC2 version.

-Jason


You *can* look through a list of packages.

Code:
apt-get update
apt-cache search nameofwhatyourlookingfor


Or you could just use Synaptic.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

_________________
E-mail me at s.clement@localhost (replace localhost with sympatico.ca) or stevo32@localhost (replace localhost with blagblagblag.org).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group