FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Limewire for Linux
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slick50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Limewire for Linux Reply with quote

Just downloaded Limewire .rpm for linux and it is real impressive, fast downloads...If Amule just isn't cutting it for you give Limewire a try. nice looking GUI and easy to set up, and the speed will just blow you away. If you are looking for music and stuff.(Yea they will bug you to upgrade but not required)
You can get it here...http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/LimeWire_for_Linux/984642248/2

-Ken

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Free Software or spyware?
slick50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as I can tell its been cleaned up a bit I know old versions in windows use to hammer you with spyware. But couldn't be for sure... Guess well have to see but it preforms well. As far as free I think it is for linux. unless I missed something.

Last edited by slick50 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Is it Free Software or spyware?

It's definitly not free.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic version is free from www.limewire.com
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:

Free Software? Do you get the source code? Or is it spyware?

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Chris wrote:

Free Software? Do you get the source code? Or is it spyware?

You DO NOT get the source code. It is not FOSS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried DC++
I have no idea if it's FOSS but I hear that there is a version for Linux but not tried installing it.
Saw it running on a friends windoze box and it was quite impressive, seems to be a P2P with no central server you get acesss to the other person's folders and files directly. You have control on what you want to share.

If it's free software it would be ideal as they have some guys in Sweden with some very fast pipes and tons of goodies :wink:

Blag 30K with the 2.6.11.6 kernel is kicking :D now all I have to get working for me is Suspend to Disk and that would make my Thinkpad work ready (better for my job), I have to move from site to site so restarting everytime is a pain and if I suspend to RAM and my journey time is long I use most of my battery.

Would welcome any tips on setting up a IBM Thinkpad to suspend to Disk, I've compiled software-suspend2 into the kernel and added the script, now just need some help with the real hard stuff :oops:

Vasco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I do believe jebba rolled some stuff for accessing DC network at one point.

Anyways, DC++ IS open source:

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

I don't think it's for linux, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LimeWire source code can be obtained from the LimeWire open source

development site at www.limewire.org. The source code can be easily

accessed at: http://gui.limewire.org/servlets/ProjectSource.

Thank you for your interest in LimeWire!

-LimeWire TeamLimeWire is no longer Open Source
After taking a long hard look at our track record with external developers and at the potential profits of bundling spyware we have decided to close the source-code of LimeWire. Furthermore, the reality of the market has forced us to stop all development and focus entirely on marketing our existing product.

Chris
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for those of you who are still running blag 10000 and are sick of trying to get limwire to work, you might want to give this program a try instead. It is called Phex. http://phex.kouk.de/mambo/ It is a p2p file sharing program that works great. You do not even have to install it. Just click on the phex.jar file to run. You must have java installed on your system to run it.
stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even better, you could use my GTK-Gnutella RPM for 10k (which I've been bugging jebba to add to the repo):

ftp://ftp.stevo32.no-ip.org/pub/gtk-gnutella-0.95-1stevo32.fc1.i386.rpm

(I made the one for 30k as well, except jebba added that one to the repo ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:
Or even better, you could use my GTK-Gnutella RPM for 10k (which I've been bugging jebba to add to the repo):

or even better than better heheheh, this one does the job better

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/

( I got download speeds of 60kbs on a 512Kb line...)
and is GPLed s/w

the bad news is that is java s/w.... :(

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

or even better than better heheheh, this one does the job better

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/

( I got download speeds of 60kbs on a 512Kb line...)
and is GPLed s/w

the bad news is that is java s/w.... :(

Azureus isn't really recommended for downloading music unless you download it by the album or discography.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should add that gtk-gnutella rpm to the blag 10000 repository. :D I like it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP