FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Install Issue: automatic partition error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scaryman5000
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Install Issue: automatic partition error Reply with quote

Hello,

I am totally new to Linux, and I loved the features of Blag and the ideas behind it so much that I couldn't consider another distro. I've been setting my system up for a dual boot with W**2000 pro for the past few days. Everything seems ready after following all the advice I gathered from searching around the net, but for the past two days, I've gotten an error during the automatic partitioning stage. It is about my not selecting a root partition, and it further states that this could be due to not enough free space on the disk. I am installing blag on a separate hard drive from my other OS, and I left 11.75 GB of unallocated space for the installation. There is one partition at the end of that disk that I've set aside for other uses, but it is empty at the moment. That partition is formatted, but the space for Blag is not. I just left it open for Blag to do its work. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially since I already passed a copy of Blag on to an associate. If he runs into this issue, I'll look a bit foolish if I can't help him out. Thanks in advance for the help, and a big thanks to the creators of Blag and its community.

Jason
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Linux partitions you need to

A) Pick a mount point
B) Specify the space
C) Decide if you want to put the partition at the beginning or end of the drive

From what you say I gather you got B and C sorted. Unlike Windows, you can't just install and let it pick up the partitions for you unless you automatically partition. Linux actually respects you enough to not try and screw up your other partitions.

So you need to pick a mount point. In the drop down menu during install, you will see

/
/bin
/boot
/dev

etc etc etc

For now just select / and this will be your mount point. In the future, you may want to define custom mount points. It really isn't necessary right now though.

Scaryman5000
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks alot for the help (and quickly, I might add). I hate to confess this, but the problem was all me. I focused on preparing for the Blag installation so much that I overlooked the jumper setting on my first drive. I had just installed a new drive for Blag, and I forgot to change the setting on the first one from "master" to "master with slave". I have no idea why everything else worked fine. I guess Blag just had trouble communicating with the boot sector on the first drive. It's all good now. Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'll need more later on.

BTW, I was VERY pleased with the appearance, features, and function of Blag. I'd like to help promote it. Who do I talk to about putting links on my website? Also, I could probably spare some of my resources if they would need me to mirror. Thanks.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have it sorted. :)

If you'd like to mirror BLAG, you can connect to the rsync server:

rsync://rsync.blagblagblag.org/

Jason
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaryman5000 wrote:
Who do I talk to about putting links on my website?

BLAG is Open Source. You may pretty much do exactly what you like when you like how you like without any strict permissions. So feel free to link and promote as much as you want as it is YOUR choice.

This will explain it better.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP