BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLAG for webhosting?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone tried using BLAG for webhosting yet? I figure the BLAG server itself may run BLAG? I know the old one did. Anyone else tried it. I am thinking of doing it. CPanel will be needed client side and it works fine with all the Fedora releases. I want to synchronise the server on my home network (running BLAG) with the one I will use for webhosting. I heard other distros used CPanel but CPanel itself is designed for FC based distros and BLAG fits the bill. Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

And here is a question. What are the chances of an upgrade from FC1 to BLAG30000? Would it work? Dependency issues aside I see no reason why it couldn't considering How little trouble I had updating BLAG10k boxes to the latest version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, I use blag as a webserver for a number of sites. It works fine and is quick to set up.

You should be able upgrade FC1 -> 30k. After the upgrade from CD, I'd recommend running these commands.

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get -f install
apt-get dist-upgrade

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Just a note, DO NOT do a dist-upgrade from 10K -> 30K, do a CD upgrade if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:45 am 
Site Admin

The issue right now is the server is remotely accessed only. Anyone ever remotely upgraded an entire distro? I did once from BLAG8000 to BLAG10k. I figured now with apt-get that could only get easier. Maybe perhaps downloading the iso to the server, mounting it as a drive and then installing from that may work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

If it's remotely accessible only, it's pretty tough to do a 10k->30k dist-upgrade due to the kernel version going from 2.4 to 2.6 and the new /dev setup. It is possible though, but you'll want to practice it a bit.

That said, 10k will do fine as a webserver too. Its not necessary to have the latest & greatest. I have a 9k box serving up happily & closing in on a year uptime.

-Jeff