FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Changing Default Desktop System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Changing Default Desktop System Reply with quote

Im fairly new to linux. I recentally switched to Blag 30k Beta (29999.50000). At first I updated my system. Then i Installed KDE using Synaptic. But now how do I set KDE as the default Destktop system?

Thanks.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the login screen, you can choose "Session" across the top. It should allow you to make it your default desktop (for that user).

-Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt let me. It has 5 options, Like 1. Gnome, 2. Default Desktop.. 3. KDE, etc... The Default Desktop is Gnome, but it doesnt give me an option to set default.
jebba
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you select KDE and log in, doesn't it then say "hey, do you want to make it default?"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Doesnt say that at all.
stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Nope. Doesnt say that at all.

In /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/default.desktop,

change this line:
Code:
Exec=default

to:

Code:
Exec=startkde

I'm pretty sure that it's startkde, but I'm not sure. It's whatever command that can be used to start kde...you better double check.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps the `switchdesk` command. Under Preferences/More Preferences. If you don't have it, you can install it:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install switchdesk

Jason
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can manually edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop to say "GNOME" or "KDE" or whatever. That works for me when changing between the two.

http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=416

Also as Jeff said switchdesk makes it all so much easier and I only use the above when i can't be bothered to move the mouse.

Triangle not logged in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Konsole and type "switchdesk kde". Normally next you log in the default desktop will be kde.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP